What We Do > Research
We investigate how technology can influence and enhance teaching and learning by conducting basic, applied, formative, and summative research using a mix of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
EDC|CCT will serve as the research partner for the next five years of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting–PBS Ready To Learn Initiative (CPB-PBS RTL). As the public media system works to design new multimedia learning resources for young children, especially those from low-income familes, we will lead a coalition of highly regarded research partners from SRI Education, Rockman et al., and UCLA-CRESST to conduct formative research to answer the following questions.
• How can we use design principles to guide the creation of Ready To Learn resources meant to support young children's science and literacy learning?
• How can producers enact these principles to take advantage of the unique affordances of each platform, including the new Learning Analytics platform and its emphasis on adaptivity, while also considering how each platform is part of a larger model that seeks to promote family engagement and learning?
• How can Ready To Learn broadcast episodes, online games, app, and other resources be strengthened to support families and children's learning?
• How can resources be improved and optimized to meet their intended purpose and to better address the target learning goals?
• How are local public media stations and their direct-service partners, such as health clinics and housing authorities, using the Ready To Learn community engagement model to serve the needs of families?
For more information, see the Ready to Learn Initiative web page.